Monday, February 13, 2012

How do you Kill Spearmint Plants in the garden?!!!?

I moved here a few months ago, and someone before me planted Spearmint in the garden area. Not realizing how it takes over I have been planting my own plants and and now that I see how CRAZY this plant is I don't know what to do. It is every where and I really dont want to dig the whole garden out when I have a bunch of flowers in it now. I try digging up roots but its out of control. I know is't a great plant but it has contol of the garden. Please anyone how con I get rid of this thing!!!??

How do you Kill Spearmint Plants in the garden?!!!?
I prefer to grow mint in pots. I think the best way, although it will be long and hard work, is to dig it out.
Reply:makes me sad to tell you to kill such a lovely plant (where i come from mints are hard to grow) but here goes:



cover it with a few layers of newspaper, thick enough to stop light coming through (so the plant starves/can't photosynthesize), overlapping the sheets so there's no gaps for it (light or the plant) to get through, then water the newspaper a little to get it wet, making it heavy and sticking together (so it won't blow away) and finally cover the newspaper with mulch. The mint will die and then you can plant something new into the nice organic matter/mulch left behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment